Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Blues Rock...what is it?
09-16-2012, 12:25 PM,
Blues Rock...what is it?
Classifying a given tune or band within a particular genre can be tricky business. Sites such as, but not limited to, iTunes often miss the mark. It’s not rare to see a purely Blues song labeled “Rock” and vice versa.

Unfortunately, the term Blues Rock isn’t used to categorize material/bands on the popular music download sites or by major labels (if there are major labels these days).

When I think of classical Blues Rock, bands like Cream and Led Zeppelin come to mind. Cream certainly transformed Blues standards into heavier Rock-like numbers. When released however, albums such as Disraeli Gears and Wheels of Fire were considered and labeled simply as Rock. As an aside, this is interesting when taking into account that Clapton came from a Blues background and Bruce and Baker were Jazz oriented.

Anyway and for fun, how do YOU define Blues Rock or is it a loosely applied term in your mind?
09-16-2012, 07:39 PM,
RE: Blues Rock...what is it?
It's pretty much modern classic rock
09-17-2012, 08:12 AM,
I really can't sum it up much better than this article on Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blues_rock

It truely is an amalgam of styles. Blues/Rock/Soul/Jazz
Besides attending concerts and listening to music obviously, I'm into my motorcycles, cooking, home brewing just to name a few hobbies.
kevin@bluesrockreview.com
09-17-2012, 10:50 AM,
It's a good question. There's a couple ways you can describe it and I think all answers so far are correct. Even though it's sort of a niche genre it's still kind of broad.

Generally at BRR we'll cover blues/rock/soul/roots.
09-19-2012, 02:40 PM,
One of the beautiful things about blues rock is how distinctive and varied its styles can be. You can know it when you hear it, but trying to define it can prove a fleeting and elusive affair. I know: I have to find a way of putting the music into descriptive terms every time a review is due. However, the qualities of blues rock that make it transcend definition are the very qualities that make it so special. The most amazing attribute of music is how it can convey meaning in ways that other forms of communication simply cannot. To try too hard to categorize is, in my opinion, to rob music of this special distinction.
09-19-2012, 05:55 PM,
Thumbs Up  RE: Blues Rock...what is it?
Well said.

KO
Besides attending concerts and listening to music obviously, I'm into my motorcycles, cooking, home brewing just to name a few hobbies.
kevin@bluesrockreview.com
10-19-2012, 08:43 AM,
"As the name implies,
Blues Rock is essentially a blend of blues and rock: the guitar has a faster and heavier sound than Chicago blues and includes extended jams, influenced in part by Psychedelic Rock.."

http://classicrock.about.com/od/newrelea...esrock.htm

there are two music genres that I like the most; Bluesrock and Surf. As you know, both music genres are based on cool electric guitar works. Strictly speaking I am not a musician, but I'm a hooked on those guitars! Smile
11-06-2012, 10:00 AM,
I have a question: What would you all say is the biggest difference between blues rock and country music? Obviously there's a little overlap with certain types of blues, but what's the main difference?
11-06-2012, 10:58 AM,
I think as with any musical "genre", it is kind of fluid in what could be described as "blues rock". My favorite musical genre is Blues Rock but how does one apply that tag to a musical group is somewhat up to each person. Tough question and no simple answer. I just bought a CD by Lincoln Durham, it is a "blues" cd, pretty good but whether is it "blues rock" or just blues or even Americana is subjective (The Shovel vs the Howling bones is the CD, highly recommended). Similarly, the group, Howling Rain, has a song on their latest album called Self Made Man, which is an awesome Rock song, I would call it blues rock but not their entire album would be called Blues Rock.
11-19-2012, 08:54 AM,
(11-06-2012, 10:00 AM)Amanda_L Wrote: I have a question: What would you all say is the biggest difference between blues rock and country music? Obviously there's a little overlap with certain types of blues, but what's the main difference?
because of job problems for a while I could not login on bluesrockreview.com
hello all again. Smile

First, welcome to the forum, Amanda.I hope you stick around the forum and keep posting.

Blues is an Afro-American folk music 
Country that is inspired by blues music, belongs to southern whites
British musicians (john mayall, early rolling stones..and so on) that are influenced by american delta blues musicians, laid the foundations of Bluesrock.

In blues rock music, electric guitar that has distortion usually, is experimental and near the rock and roll. In 60s this style was affected by psychedelic sounds, in 70s and then (with influencing southern musicians like Johnny Winter, ZZ Top) bluesrock was influenced by southern music (especially texas blues and country), and thus southern rock was born (to me blues rock and southern rock are brothers)As for your question, I think it's the main difference that blues rock music has more heavy bluesy electric guitar than country.

two samples to see more good
bluesrock
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6N8Ruib5_0
country
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WXYjm74WFI