Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
How to Educate a New Listener?
09-03-2012, 12:11 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-03-2012, 02:16 PM by kevinorourke.)
How to Educate a New Listener?
So it's the inevitable question: "What type of music do you listen to?"
So I'm curious what your response is or what you do to educate someone on what you like.

Here's my typical experience:
Usually I just get a blank stare when I say Blues Rock. Most people have no idea what you're talking about. So then I try and list bands that they might know which leaves you with the mainstream stuff that they might have heard...... SRV, Allman Brothers, Johnny Lang, KWS, Clapton, Hendrix etc.

Of course that only scratches the surface and doesn't really give anyone a good idea of what you really listen to. To be honest I although I love all the bands listed above I rarely listen to any of them by choice. Except for Clapton (huge fan!!).

What usually works best for me is the following. I have a playlist on my iPod that's got my favorite songs from a variety of artists. I have it playing quite a bit of the time when I'm sitting in my office at my "real" job. After most people spend some time in my office every time they return they are usually asking who is playing and then I get to slowly educate them.

Usually after a while I can get them to attend a concert of someone who's coming through the area especially if they've heard them in my office. That's usually a good conversion point.

There are so few people now who are willing to sit and listen to something simply because you suggest it. So I've found that the subliminal effect of playing it at work is what works the best for me to educate people.

Any one have a technique that works better than others?

KO
Besides attending concerts and listening to music obviously, I'm into my motorcycles, cooking, home brewing just to name a few hobbies.
kevin@bluesrockreview.com
09-03-2012, 01:00 PM,
RE: How to Educate a New Listener?
Music is the Heart And Soul of me. The Discovery of Music new and old is a passion for me. I listen to all kinds, Heavy Rock, Blues Rock, Classic Rock, Southern Rock, Psychedelic Rock, Acoustic, Instrumental and I can go on and on. Really don't get into Classical, Rap or country. Have a few Country cds but that's about it.
To turn people onto Music I give them original cds to listen to and get feedback from that. Most people have no idea about the new bands that are everywhere. I give cds away to total strangers just to see there reaction and get there opinions. Sometimes it developes into friendships.
I also tell people about Specialty Radio Shows through the internet if they are truly interested in the Discovery of new Music that Features the Guitar and dynamic vocals. I wear T Shirts with bands and Radio Shows and use them as conversation pieces when I'm in public. I attend Music Collector shows and talk Music to people there.

I know You have heard of Baseball, Basketball & Football Professional Scouts that find the best players in the world. Well I'm a Music Scout. In my spare time I find new & old Music for Radio Shows to play on there programs. I help Record Labels discover new bands that end up with Record deals.

There is no greater feeling than to see a band that I discovered and then they get a record deal somewhere or hear there songs being played on the radio / internet.

In my opinion You have to feel a persons Music interest out before You try to lay new music on them. If they like rap its going to be difficult to hook them up with a Blues Rock Axe Master. I usually try to tell them about bands that are very similar to the bands they already listen too. That way You ease them into some cool conversations.

I'm not a salesman that's for sure So I always try to please myself when looking for music and will bend over backwards to help anyone discover Music. If You need Me I'm only an email away.
09-03-2012, 01:06 PM,
This is a really good topic.

I think most people want to feel they discovered the music themselves. I find it much more likely someone will take a suggestion if they found it themselves on a forum/website or some other way, as opposed to suggesting an artist to someone in person. Most people just aren't going to take a suggestion unless they actually asked for it.

The biggest problem with blues rock is it has no mainstream attention whatsoever. The best exposure it gets is a few concert airings on PBS/Palladia. I've come across folks who say they love blues rock music, but to them the genre is still Stevie Ray Vaughan. They might know of KWS, Jonny Lang, possibly Bonamassa, but outside of that I could name artists all day that they aren't aware of. A lot of these folks will mention how there is "no good music being made anymore." There is tons of good music out there but they aren't exposed to it because it's not on the radio, or even more mainstream music websites.

Basically if I recommended an artist to someone I'd tell them who they're similar to. Gary Clark Jr. for example I'd say is similar to The Black Keys. Hopefully guys like Gary can continue to get big, which may open avenues to other artists. That is why we started up the "Artists Similar To" video series on BRR, to expose people who know about the more well known blues rock artists to some of the up and coming talents.
09-03-2012, 02:18 PM,
(09-03-2012, 01:06 PM)pfrancis Wrote: Most people just aren't going to take a suggestion unless they actually asked for it.

The biggest problem with blues rock is it has no mainstream attention whatsoever.

So true - Couldn't agree with either of these statements enough!
KO
Besides attending concerts and listening to music obviously, I'm into my motorcycles, cooking, home brewing just to name a few hobbies.
09-03-2012, 02:45 PM,
Radio Stations in my area are not open to playing new bands that feature the guitar. All we hear is Classic Rock the same old songs Lynyrd Skynyrd, Bad Company, Thin Lizzy The Boys are back in town, Over & Over & Over again. You can set your clock by the song play list. I love these old songs but Would like to see some different bands included or some specialty shows thrown in to keep your attention. I have called to request a certain song like Johnny The Fox meets Jimmy The Weed from Thin Lizzy and they would only play the Boys are back in town. They are only trying to drive the old classic bands into our Youth because if they actually heard some of the new bands they would want to hear more.

I actually schedule listening sessions with my old record store buddies so I can turn them onto new bands. I feel the internet has put alot of great Music stores out of Business. I loved going on Friday Night to Sunburst Records with a hand full of cds and a 6 pack spending the evening listening and talking Music with all the regulars and new people that would come in and say Hey What Are You listening too, That Rocks.
09-10-2012, 07:26 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-10-2012, 07:26 PM by pfrancis.)
We've thought about a BRR podcast that plays new music, though I'm not really sure about the legalities of a streaming podcast. We get albums from labels/publicists/bands all the time, so we have pretty much all the new music, but I'm not really sure if it's legal to do a podcast, or if there would be royalties. There isn't really a structure in place for podcasting like radio.

Then again if we had one it'd be great for current blues rock fans, but I'm not sure how it really educates a new listener, just the current ones.
09-10-2012, 08:39 PM,
Unfortunately I know that without permission from the copyright holder using the music in a podcast is illegal. I've always wondered about the economics of an internet streaming radio station like BellyUp4Blues. Perhaps someone can enlighten us.

I'd bet that we might be able to obtain permissions from some of the labels and artists that we review to use some of their tracks for a podcast.

KO
10-21-2012, 06:50 PM,
at end of 90s thanks to from dusk till dawn soundtrack that is one of my favs, I discovered existence of zz top and stevie ray vaughan. In soundtrack of movie From Dusk Till Dawn there were two songs of ZZ Top (Mexican Blackbird and She's Just Killing Me). In fact frankly I did not like those. But I was impressed by srv's sound ("Mary Had A Little Lamb" and "Willie the Wimp")

Then one day by chance I purchased beards' "Antenna" album, due to I wondered other ZZ Top songs. All album was good but "Pincushion", "Fuzzbox Voodoo", "PCH", "Cherry Red" became some of finest songs I ever heard and I fell in love with ZZ Top Smile
Beards' sound enchanted me, seriously. Then I found out that beards made a music style called blues rock.

In time I listened to many blues styles and many blues musicians (God bless the internet! Smile ) but my favorite blues genres always became blues rock, texas blues and british blues. Obviously only I loved those.
11-05-2012, 11:33 PM,
Okay, I'll admit it... I am a bit of a n00b when it comes to Blues rock, so I was really excited to find both this thread and the "Artists Similar To..." video series. I'm a big fan of The Black Keys and Hendrix and was really stoked to find more artists like them. All the artists you mentioned Pete were awesome and I was happy to have widened my knowledge base. I can't wait to see more from that series.

I've always been drawn to the bluesy sound (Do the White Stripes, Norah Jones and Neko Case count? I'm so ashamed) but clearly my knowledge is restricted to more mainstream blues amalgams. I think what's been said in this thread about Blues rock getting very few mainstream nods is 100% true and it's a huge shame, because people are missing out on some quality tunes (Not that mainstream popularity is everything, but these artists deserve what's due them for sure.) Most people don't even really take the time to look. Because of that, I think it's really hard for someone who doesn't know much about blues rock in general to know where to even start looking once you head down the rabbit hole so to speak. That's where a place like Blues Rock Review can come in handy for a lost soul such as myself.

Anyway, if anyone has any sage advice on other things I could be listening to, I'm open to suggestions!

Also female blues artists... who's good?
11-06-2012, 02:16 AM,
Hello Amanda here is 3 bands You can check out to see if You like them.
JoAnn Shaw Taylor, Excellent Female Blues Rock Guitar Slinger that really lays it down and very good vocals.
Anni Piper is another Female Artist that I think is really good.
Also check out the band Nitroville. Female vocals that are cool.